machine learning, deep learning, computer vision, human-robot interaction, cloud robotics, and Brain Machine Interface systems.
Dr. Christian Penaloza holds a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering from San Diego State University, a Master's degree in Engineering Science and Ph.D. in Cognitive Neuroscience Robotics from Osaka University. Currently, he is a research scientist at the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute (ATR) and specially appointed faculty at the Intelligent Robotics – Ishiguro Laboratory, Osaka University in Japan. Dr. Penaloza is Chief Technology Officer of Mirai Innovation, a technology company focusing on developing innovative systems using emerging technologies such as AI, robotics, augmented reality and neurotechnologies. In 2016, MIT Technology Review Magazine recognized Dr. Penaloza as one of the 10 best innovators under 35 years old and awarded him the "Innovator of the Year 2016 Mexico" award, the most important world-class award for young innovators who are at the forefront of technology giving solutions to global problems. Dr. Penaloza has authored over 40 publications in international peer-review conferences and journals in the area of robotics.
- 2018: Excellence Research Award by the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute International
- 2016: Innovator of the Year 2016 Mexico by the MIT Technology Review Magazine
- 2014: Excellence Award for Overseas Research by the Manufacturing and Technology Association in Japan
- 2013: Most Valuable Player (MVP) award by the 3rd Global Technology Entrepreneurship and Commercialization (G-TEC) program at Osaka University
- 2013: Social Innovation Award (1st place winner), Osaka University San Francisco Center for Education and Research, San Francisco, CA. USA